[MyAppleMenu] Jul 19, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 19 21:05:01 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, Jul 19, 2003

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
3 Years Ago: The Cube: Apple's NeXT Mistake? (Michelle Delio, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,37669,00.html>
Jobs "sure was inordinately fond of that Cube design."

New Mantra For PC Makers; Diversify (Ina Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040_3-1027370.html>
Although consumer PC demand led to better-than-expected sales growth in the second quarter, manufacturers that focused only on the consumer market were not the ones that benefited.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Welcome To Swaine Manor (Michael Swaine, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/07/18/swaine.html>

And The Walls Come Tumbling Down... (MacNETv2)
<http://www.macnet2.com/more.php?id=373_0_1_0_M>
The Mac Web is a great collection of very cool sites providing plenty of content to satisfy our daily "fix" of Apple news, reviews, and opinions. If we lost them it would be a tragic loss indeed.

Is "Mac Journalism" An Oxymoron After All? (Chuck la Tournous, RandomMaccess)
<http://www.randommaccess.com/news/1058554783.shtml>

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Options Abound For Text Chat Services On Macs (Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/20/magazine/20RANDOM.html>
Withour data lives split up in many locations, and often our only access a machine with a Web browser, .Mac has become a more compelling option for frequent travelers -- even ifyou're traveling among home, office and coffee shop.

Version Control On Mac OS X, Part 1 (Kevin O'Malley, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/07/18/version_control_one.html>
Version control is a simple and effective process that will support any development effort -- from single-person to large projects.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
New Windows Flaw Raises Fresh Doubts About Microsoft Security (Jaikumar Vijayan, Computerworld)
<http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,83221,00.html?f=x73>
Users this week reacted with a mixture of concern and resignation to the discovery of a critical flaw in almost all versions of Microsoft's Windows software, including the Windows Server 2003 operating system.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Your Permanent Record (David Vaskevitch, Wired)
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.08/view.html?pg=1>
Microsoft CTO explains why tons and tons of memory will serve us well.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Start-Ups To Play Important Role In Valley Recovery (Matt Marshall, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/6322052.htm>
Silicon Valley is one of the most dynamic business centers of the world because of its ability to reinvent itself, but the state budget crisis presents some difficult choices for us as we try to keep it that way.

Bush's E-Mail Faces DoS Attack (Ashlee Vance, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/31829.html>
The President's revamped mailbox has been hit with a denial-of-service attack, as users rushed to see if the White House's e-mail system is aw awful as billed.

Videocams Record Airline Flights (Elisa Batista, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,59652,00.html>
At least one airline plans to install video cameras throughout its planes to record passengers and their activities at all times. What's more, they may keep the video for up to 10 years. Privacy advocates are not pleased.

Is Spam Here To Stay? (Lisa M. Bowman, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-1027252.html>
Is spam becoming just another annoying fact of life for most people, like congested freeways or telemarketing calls during dinner? Yes, according to a new Harris Interactive study.

E-Mail? The French Beg To Differ (Jo Best, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-1027357.html>
The latest Anglicism to fall out of favor in France is the word "e-mail," now banned from use by government employees.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
10 Things We Can Do To Perpetuate Homelessness (Joel John Roberts, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-vo-roberts19jul19,1,2782734.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions>
To many people, the world today is upside down. Look at the problem of homelessness, for example. We are the rishest and most powerful nation in the world, and yet there are still thousands and thousands of people who sleep on our streets each night.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
E-Mail? The French Beg To Differ (Jo Best, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-1027357.html>
The latest Anglicism to fall out of favor in France is the word "e-mail," now banned from use by government employees.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Trust Me, I'm British (Tim Burt, Financial Times)
<http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1057562483416>
Whatever Downing Street's view, the BBC has become a valued news source for liberal America.

The Economist Takes The High Road To Global Success (David Shaw, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/columnists/cl-ca-shaw20jul20,0,5242807.column>
One of the hottest-selling magazines in America doesn't publish celebrity covers or photos of scantily clad young woemn, doesn't traffic in gossip or diet tips and doesn't cater to a niche audience obsessed with cars, coins, cooking or collectibles. Moreover, it doesn't call itself a magaine, and it isn't published in America.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.