[MyAppleMenu] Aug 27, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 27 21:05:04 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, Aug 27, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Jaguar Release Catapults Apple Sales (Margaret Kane, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-955498.html?tag=cd_mh>
More than 100,000 copies of Apple Computer's OS X 10.2 operating system were sold worldwide during its first weekend, the company said.

At Apple, It's One Step Forward... (Alex Salkever, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2002/tc20020827_7598.htm>
Every time Steve Jobs & Co. appears to have things going its way, something -- like a PC industry stuck in a slump -- seems to slow it down.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Mozilla 1.1 Debuts To Mixed Reviews (Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-955617.html>
The Mozilla.org open-source project introduced the latest version of its Web browser this week, aimed at improving speed and performance, but the software still has a ways to go, some consumers say.

Apple Launches Education Promotion (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/27.promo.php>
Dubbed "Back to School in Style" the promotion gives users that purchase any qualifying PowerBook G4 up to $150 in additional savings off the education discount.

FileMaker Pro Gets Updated (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/27.filemaker.php>
FileMaker Pro has received an incremental upgrade, bringing the database application to version 6.0v3.

CodeWarrior Pro 8.2 Updated For Jaguar (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/27.codewarrior.php>
The new version is a maintenance release.

More Oracle Software Available For 10.2 (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/27.oracle.php>
In addition to the database itself, users can download the Oracle9i v9.0.1 thin JDBC Driver or the Oracle 8i v8.1.7 OCI for Mac OS X.

Wacom Announces Jaguar, Inkwell Support (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/27.wacom.php>
Pen input system developer Wacom Technology has announced that all of its USB-based tablet systems are supported by Mac OS X 10.2.

iPod Guides You Through The Singapore Art Museum (MacSingaore)
<http://macsingapore.com/archive/news200208a.html#ipod>
Moreover, visitors who have their own iPod can come to the museum and download information available.

Sneakernet Redux: Walk Your Data (Paul Boutin, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,54739,00.html>
The coolest sneakernet accessory is, of course, Apple's iPod.

A Good Time To Pick Apple's Stock? (Alex Salkever, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2002/tc20020827_9548.htm>
While several factors are weighing down Jobs & Co.'s financial performance these days, many others could provide a nice lift.

Mac's Slipping Class Rank (Alex Salkever, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2002/tc20020827_9702.htm>
Apple is losing ground to more enterprise-friendly Windows PCs in the critical education market. If that continues, watch out.

iPod: A Seed For Growth? (Olga Kharif, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2002/tc20020827_7649.htm>
Now that Apple's snazzy digital music player works with Windows, it could open new doors into consumer electronics. It won't be easy though.

Record Orders For Jagaur's First Leap (David Frith, The Barrow)
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,4962243%5E15397%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html>
Apple shop operators tell The Barrow interest has been intense, with pre-orders at a record level.

Microsoft Re-Releases Entourage Palm Sync (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/26.entourage.php>
Without any fanfare, Microsoft has re-released its Handheld Synchronization for Entourage X software.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
The Best Home Movie Ever (Nathan Torkington, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1910>
I wish I'd had the creativity to propose to my wife like this.

Hey Apple, MHz Matters (Adam Robert Guha, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/archive/02/0827.html>
Apple needs to gain market share, and one of the best ways to do this is to offer machines with higher clock speeds that can compete more directly with Windows PCs.

iMicrosoft? (Slashdot)
<http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=38678&cid=4145364>
The only reason I can think of that I wouldn't buy a future version of Watson is all the whining that Karelia did about this.

iMicrosoft? (Slashdot)
<http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=38678&cid=4145296>
Apple's iApps don't replace anything. Third-party software has to be good enough to replace the iApps, not the other way around.

The Branding Of Apple: Apple's Intangible Asset (Simon Spence, TidBITS)
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=06919>
Ease of use is as relevant today as it was at the introduction of the Macintosh, when the world realized there was more to computing than the DOS prompt.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Mac OS X 'Jaguar' Gets Thumbs-Up (Sandy McMurray, Globe and Mail)
<http://rtnews.globetechnology.com/servlet/ArticleNews/tech/RTGAM/20020827/gtjahg/Technology/techBN/>
Mac OS X 10.2 is the best OS I've ever used and it keeps getting better.

Jaguar Tidbits From O'Reilly (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1911>
Now that the dust has settled on the initial install of Jaguar, here are a few subtle discoveries that have been enjoyable to find.

A Star Is Born With Apple's New Addition (Andy Ihnatko, Chicaco Sun-Times)
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/worktech/cst-fin-andy27.html>
90 percent of Mac OS X 10.2 consists of cool, bouncy, double-clicky new features that are right out there to be immediately exploited by the average user.

For Some Users, Jaguar Upgrade Comes With Show-Stopping 'Gotchas' (Chuck La Tournous, RandomMaccess)
<http://www.randommaccess.com/newspro/articles/1030397968.shtml>
In short, wait a few weeks and "let the pioneers take the arrows."

iPod Lets You Store Much Music (Mark Kellner, Washington Times)
<http://www.washtimes.com/technology/20020827-91570222.htm>
In short, there's much to like about the iPod, and if you're doing your holiday shopping early this year, it's a gift certain to draw oohs and ahhs when unwrapped.

Apple's Jaguar: This Cat Roars (Phillip Ben-David, osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/19180.html>
Here's what it took to log on to my company's Windows-based network. I plugged one end of an Ethernet cord into my PowerBook, the other end into an Ethernet outlet, and cranked up my browser. Done.

AOL Updates Its Mac Face (Troy Dreier, PC Magazine)
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,484847,00.asp>
AOL 10.2 doesn't have the kind of large improvements that make your jaw drop, but does offer an attractive interface and enough small improvements that using it is a pleasure.

FileMaker 6 Gets Graphic (Jeff Angus, PC World)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2002/tc20020826_4103.htm>
The latest version of this database storage and retrieval program adds features for managing graphics effectively.

Jaguar Leaps Onto Windows Networks (Gary Krakow, MSNBC)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/799225.asp?0si=-&cp1=1>
I’m not giving up when it comes to getting Jaguar to network seamlessly with my office. OS X is too good to quit on it.

Jaguar: iChat (Nathan Torkington, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1873>
And while I'm going to give iChat more of a test in the coming days, I may well end up back with Adium for my AOL chatting.

Jaguar: Fonts (Nathan Torkington, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1875>

Jaguar First Impressions... And Questions (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1898>
I have a lot of confidence in Mac OS X, and it came through again.

What Is Wrong With iChat (Rob McNair-Huff, Mac Net Journal)
<http://www.whiterabbits.com/MacNetJournal/2002/08/26.html#a2067>
The limitations of the program make it less attractive for heavy-duty users.

OS X Jaguar - Early Impressions (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/columnists/dan_gillmor/ejournal/3936620.htm>
I'm not seeing the vast speed increases I've been reading about in other coverage.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
MS Plays Volume Licensing Upgrade Card Against Naked PCs (John Lettice, The Register)
<http://theregister.co.uk/content/4/26821.html>
If you want full, untied product, you pay retail, apparently.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Instant Answers With PDA Pop Quiz (Mark Tosczak, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/school/0,1383,54183,00.html>
Developers at Wake Forest University have written software that turns a Compaq iPAQ PDA into a mobile, wireless Web server, allowing teachers and students to communicate in new ways in the classroom.

WLANs May Be Banned At Agencies (Carmen Nobel, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,484682,00.asp>
The proposed National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace plans to get tough on wireless technology, saying that if secure WLANs don't exist, federal agencies shouldn't use them.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Financial Institutions' Web Services Spending Lags (Darryl K. Taft, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,488455,00.asp>
Standardization and the development of new protocols remain a roadblock.

BEA, Palm Partner On Web Services For Handhelds (Paul Krill, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/08/27/020827hnbeapalm.xml>
The plan melds Palm's Reliable Transport infrastructure technology with the BEA WebLogic Server 7.0, BEA's J2EE-based application server platform. Developers, the vendors said, will be able to build Palm applications that can either be wireless or downloaded via a Palm cradle to interface to back-end business logic.

Discussion: Transitioning To IPv6 (kuro5hin.org)
<http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/8/26/22240/1363>

Music Industry Blames Net For All Evil (Thomas C Greene, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/26815.html>
No, the industry is doing everything right, so the only possible explanation for a loss of revenue has got to be the pestilence of Internet piracy.

AOL: New Execs, Same Old Problems (David Shook, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2002/tc20020827_5312.htm>
They must shift subscribers to broadband, fend off Microsoft, and cope with declining ad revenues -- and do it all as federal probes widen.

Study: 'True' Broadband Could Bolster Economy (Business Journal)
<http://eastbay.bizjournals.com/eastbay/stories/2002/08/26/daily1.html>
With the implementation of a "true" broadband infrastructure, advanced countries such as the United States could add sizable incremental growth to their gross domestic product measurements, according to a study by San Jose-based Dataquest Inc., a unit of Gartner Inc.

Do Notebooks Pay? (Robert Passmore, Meta Group)
<http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2878344,00.html>
Through 2003, integration and extension of mobile, wireless, and enterprise applications will require specialized IT skills and resources.

Burning For Web Services (Brian Fonseca, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/08/26/020826hncheckpoint.xml>
A battle is brewing between traditional firewall players and a new breed of XML-applicaiton firewall vendors as both push wares that promise to protect enterprises from the security threats Web services may bring.

Researchers Lure Wi-Fi Hackers (Ed Sutherland, Internet.com)
<http://dc.internet.com/news/article.php/1452411>
How does a honeypot work? It essentially is a closed system with no valid users and no purpose beyond presenting an attractive target for intruders.

Broadband Checking Into Hotels (Dawn Kawamoto, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1033-955445.html?tag=cd_mh>
Broadband-equipped hotel rooms are expected to grow to 15 percent in North America next year, according to an announcement Monday by research firm In-Stat/MDR.

Japanese Phones Vulnerable To Hackers? (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1033-955294.html?tag=cd_mh>
Cell phone users in Japan have already had to contend with spam and technical glitches, but that may seem like a breeze when hackers finally turn their attention to the wireless world.

EU Regulators To Decide Soon On Proposals For Cooperation In British Mobile Phone Infrastructure (Associated Press)
<http://www.boston.com/dailynews/238/economy/EU_regulators_to_decide_soon_o%3A.shtml>
European Union regulators are expected to make a preliminary decision soon on whether to approve proposals for German and British telecommunications companies to share the costs of building a new mobile-phone infrastructure in Britain, officials said Monday.

Students Complain About Devices For Reading E-Books, Study Finds (Scott Carlson, The Chronicle of Higher Education)
<http://chronicle.com/free/2002/08/2002082601t.htm>
E-book technology needs some improvement before students will be willing to use e-books instead of textbooks, according to a report on a study conducted at Ball State University.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
A World Without Water (Ginger Adams Otis, The Village Voice)
<http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0234/otis.php>
Faster than you can say Evian.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Do The Math (Jay Mathews, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61232-2002Aug25.html>
At East L.A.'s Garfield High, an advanced placement program worth studying.

A Literary Alternative To Reading A Travel Guide (John Schwartz, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/27/business/27BOOK.html>
You're packing for a business trip to a foreign city. Clothes? Check. Toothbrush? Check. The laptop? Check. The book? Grisham? Again?

Pouring It On (Dina ElBoghdady, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56030-2002Aug24.html>
The Starbucks strategy? Locations, locations, locations.

Italics Effeminate? Hardly! (Mario Garcia, Poynter.org)
<http://www.poynter.org/visual/eyes/082202.htm>
It is time to give italics a bit of credit.

Afghan's Thirst For Web Access (Andrew Stroehlein, Online Journalism Review)
<http://www.ojr.org/ojr/world_reports/1030032560.php>
Exiles became experts at online publishing but have returned to a devastated communications infrastructure.

'This Is Not A Biography' (Jacqueline Rose, London Review of Books)
<http://www.lrb.co.uk/v24/n16/rose2416.htm>
How not to write a biographyof Sylvia Plath? We might put the question another way.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
Singapore MPs Attack Charter On Role Of State Investment Arm Temasek (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,2276,55597,00.html?>
The new charter of the Singapore state investment arm Temasek Holdings came under fire in parliament today, as MPs complained it failed to explain how the government would meet its stated aim of reducing its role in the economy.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
No Plans For Great GLC Sale (M. Nirmala, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,139964,00.html?>
No evidence to show government-linked companies are less efficient.

Don't flout Yellow Pages Rule, Don't Nudge Out Small Players (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,139952,00.html?>
Stat boards take flak for not staying out of areas that can be serviced by private sector.

SingTel Reviewing Low Usage Payphones Due To Rising Costs, Falling Revenue (Cha Hawa Loon, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/17270/1/.html>
Singapore Telecom is reviewing low usage payphones which currently number some 19,000 in all of Singapore as they are plagued by rising cost and decreasing revenue.

iPod Guides You Through The Singapore Art Museum (MacSingaore)
<http://macsingapore.com/archive/news200208a.html#ipod>
Moreover, visitors who have their own iPod can come to the museum and download information available.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.