[MyAppleMenu] Aug 14, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 14 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Jobs Swears By Apple Results (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=5119>
Apple CEO Steve Jobs and CFO Fred Anderson have signed statements verifying the acuracy of Apple's financial reports.

Can The Digital Hub Survive Hollywood? (Cory Doctorow, TidBITS)
<http://www.tidbits.com/database-cache/tbart06901.html>
Apple has broken every rule except the most important one: build what your customers want to buy.

New Apples Versus Comparable Dell (Glenn Fleishman, GlennLogs)
<http://blog.glennf.com/gmblog/archives/00000233.htm>
The answer honestly surprised me.

=== news =============

Mac Web Site Shuts Down Forums To Protest Mac Whiners (Bryan Chaffin, The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/08/14.7.shtml>
It's time for the criticism from the Mac community to stop.

Apple Receives Perfect Score From HRC (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=15906>
Apple has received a perfect 100% score from the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index.

Apple's Newest Power Macs Sport A New Look--But The Real Change Is Inside (Philip Michaels, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/08/13/dual.html>
With this latest desktop update, Apple has radically redesigned the <i>inside</i> of the Power Mac, bolstering performance beyond a slight increase to processor speed.

Third Florida Apple Store Opens August 17th (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/08/08.5.shtml>
A new Apple Store at Wellington Green, Florida, will be opening at 10am on August 17th.

HyperCard: What Could Have Been (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,54370,00.html>
Bill Atkinson is the programming genius behind HyperCard, MacPaint and much of the original Macintosh operating system, but these days he's wistful about what could have been.

HyperCard Forgotten, But Not Gone (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,54365,00.html>
First released in 1989, HyperCard still has a fiercely dedicated following despite no meaningful update in about 15 years.

Macworld Readers Ready For X 10.2 (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=5117>
Almost half of Macworld Online readers will upgrade to Jaguar on its release, according to a poll conducted.

Analyst: Dual Processors A 'Smart Move' (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/13.analyst.php>
"When you deal with the kind of work that Apple's pro users do, you really want to have the most powerful processors as possible."

=== opinions =============

Apple Chip Breakthrough Confounds Physicsts (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/26681.html>
Faster than light? Until now this achievement has been limited to small particles, such as photons.

Why I Want To Work At An Apple Retail Store (Bob McCormick, MyMac.com)
<http://www.mymac.com/mccormick/8.14.02.shtml>
Look at those pictures of the folks in the black shirts of the Apple Store. Thye "make it fun" for themselves and for all their customers. Now that's what I call a perfect job!

Is Apple Looking For A Smack In The Head? (Stephen Van Esch, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/scope/02/0814.html>
Apple's monopoly position in the Mac market gives it the same power Microsoft enjoys.

Arrogance, Thy Name Is Microsoft (Charles Haddad, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2002/tc20020814_0119.htm>
Office users are steamed at Gates & Co.'s demand that they register their software. Keep it up, Bill. You make Apple look better every day.

Educational Software Pricing (Jonathan Gennick, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1826>
Does the lack of educational pricing for full-versions of Windows represent a deep, dark plot, or is it only the result of Microsoft trying to walk a fine line between different classes of customers?

=== reviews =============

Pick A Laptop: The Perfect Accessory For College (Edward C. Baig, USA Today)
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2002-08-13-college-laptop_x.htm>
This Apple is yummy. It's quite simply the notebook I'd want if I were back in college.

Bluetooth On Mac OS X (Wei-Meng Lee, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2002/08/13/bluetooth_osx.html>
While Bluetooth will not replace your AirPort, be prepared to see more devices that are Bluetooth-enabled in the future.

=== internet news =============

Schools Not Making The Grade In Web Use (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-949829.html>
Computers may now be nearly as common as blackboards and lockers in U.S. schools, but they are not meeting the needs of Internet-savvy students, according to a study released Wednesday.

Dodging Pop-Ups With Mozilla (Stefanie Olsen, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-949572.html>
Mozilla 1.0, the open-source technology whose coding is the basis for America Online’s latest Netscape browser, is garnering favor for a new feature that helps block irksome pop-up advertisements. But don’t expect to see the tool in the coming full release of Netscape 7.0.

Study Says Net Could Benefit Music Firms (P.J. Huffstutter, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-music14aug14.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
Sales are down because of the weak economy, report says, but consumers are buying CDs after hearing new bands online.

=== wintel top news =============

Dell Unhooks Windows From Desktops (John G. Spooner, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-949671.html>
Dell is making Windows optional for some of its business desktops.

=== wintel news =============

Microsoft Revamps Asian Management (Irene Tham, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-949746.html>
Microsoft has put six senior executives into newly created roles in the Asia-Pacific region, plucking them from other jobs across the globe in an attempt to boost business there.

Educational Software Pricing (Jonathan Gennick, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1826>
Does the lack of educational pricing for full-versions of Windows represent a deep, dark plot, or is it only the result of Microsoft trying to walk a fine line between different classes of customers?

=== reader : world =============

The Answer To Hate-America TV (David Hoffman, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15031-2002Aug13.html>
Overseas broadcasting is the wrong answer to the wrong question.

The Fog Of Newspapering (Jack Shafer, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2069369&device=>
In which the <i>New York Times</i> pretends ignorance over who is leaking the Iraq war plans.

Homeland Insecurity (Charles C. Mann, The Atlantic)
<http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/09/mann.htm>
A top expert says America's approach to protecting itself will only make matters worse. Forget "foolproof" technology--we need systems designed to fail smartly.

=== reader : tech =============

Kirsten Nygaard, Built Framework For Modern Computer Languages, Dies (John Markoff, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/14/obituaries/14NYGA.html>
Kirsten Nygaard laid the groundwork for modern computer programming languages and helped Scandinavian workers influence the design of labor-saving computer technologies.

Most Deadly Of The Natural Disasters: The Heat Wave (Tara Bahrampour, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/13/science/earth/13HEAT.html>
Heat waves come on subtly, raising summer temperatures just a little higher than normal and then receding. But they kill more people in the United States than all other natural disasters combined.

Blogs Finding Fans In BusinessWorld (John Cox, Network World)
<http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2002/0812blog.html>
Are Weblogs a legitimate business tool, or merely the Internet's latest vehicle for personal indulgence?

=== reader : life =============

Sea Urchin (Chang-Rae Lee, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?020819fa_fact3>
I've always liked food, but now I'm bent on trying everything.

Playing Against Type (Hwee Hwee Tan, Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/article/0,13673,501020819-335944,00.html>
A promising new novelist fuss political allegory with mystical realism to get under Singapore's skin.

Orwell's Dirty Secret (DJ Taylor, The Guardian)
<http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/biography/story/0,6000,773670,00.html>
What happens when biographers discover something loathsome about their subject?

Could You Please Avert Your Eyes? (Jon Carroll, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/08/13/DD124877.DTL>
What if God were one of us, just a slob like one of us? On the other hand, what if God were the guy in the booth at the Sutter-Stockton Parking Garage? Wouldn't that at least improve your manners in the parking garage? It might even make you grateful for cat columns.

Sushi Cooks Are Rolling Their Own (Matt Lee and Ted Lee, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/14/dining/14SUSH.html>
>From New York to Iowa to Los Angeles, amateur sushi-ists are taking over the kitchen.

Lawyers, Tiggers & Bears, Oh My! (Amy Wallace, LA Magazine)
<http://www.lamag.com/cover2.htm>
An 80-year-old grandmother's lawsuit has threatened to yank Winnie-the-Pooh out of Disney's Magic Kingdom. It's a Doozy of a case, full of Bluster and Hullabaloo--the kind that comes of liking money so much.

The Road To Hell (Milton Glaser, Metropolis Magazine)
<http://www.metropolismag.com/html/content_0802/gla/index.html>
Bending the truth can be a slippery slope for graphic designers.

Shredded Ideals At Business Ethics (Peter Carlson, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10346-2002Aug12.html>
A black pall of deep despair has settled over the good people who put out Business Ethics, one of the world's thinnest magazines.

The Red And The White (Calvin Trillin, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/printable/?fact/020819fa_fact>
Is it possible that wine connoisseurs can't tell them apart?

=== reader : expressions =============

For The Number 7 And The Larger Number 2 (Timothy Patton, Melic Review)
<http://www.melicreview.com/current/tpatton.html>

=== singapore top news =============

Feeder Bus Services Opened Up (Karamjit Kaur, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,137586,00.html?>
As it removes existing controls, Public Transport Council warns that commuters may end up waiting longer or paying more.

=== singapore news =============

Nets To Make Shopping Easier In Malaysia (William Choong, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,137583,00.html?>
>From late next year Singapore shoppers will be able to use their Nets cards in JB and elsewhere in Malaysia, just like at home.

Journalists 'Do Not Have Right To Protect Sources' (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,137574,00.html?>
High Court rejects the British practice of exempting journalists from courts' power to order disclosure in civil cases.

Playing Against Type (Hwee Hwee Tan, Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/article/0,13673,501020819-335944,00.html>
A promising new novelist fuss political allegory with mystical realism to get under Singapore's skin.

Singapore Politician Faces Ruin From Lawsuits (Amy Tan, Reuters)
<http://asia.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml;jsessionid=N24JA2TPVCVAGCRBAELCFFA?type=topnews&StoryID=1321750>
An outspoken Singapore opposition leader may face financial and political ruin next week in defamation lawsuits by the two most senior government figures.

---