[MyAppleMenu] Aug 12, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 12 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== news =============

AOL Upgrade brings Netscape To Mac (Margaret Kane, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-949345.html>
The software integrates Netscape's Gecko browser and supports Apple's QuickTime media player.

Apple Store In Edina, MN, To Open Soon (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=15859>
Apple is opening a new retail store in the Southdale Mall in Edina, Minnesota.

Aladdin Systems Reports Second Quarter Profit (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/12.aladdin.php>

New AOL For Mac OS X Arrives (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/12.aol.php>
"AOL for Mac OS X is designed to be native, natural and comfortable for Mac OS X users."

=== opinions =============

Intel Mac Power Has Had Its Chips (David Frith, The Barrow)
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,4874594%5E15397%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html>
Barring development of some remarkable new Mac-compatible chips by Intel (most unlikely) - it just won't happen.

Discussion: Apple Pressures Other World Computing To Drop DVD Enabler (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.org/article.pl?sid=02/08/12/1847227>

Is Apple A Company You Can Trust? (Bryan Chaffin, The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/thebackpage/2002/20020812.shtml>
Apple has shown during the last few years that it listens to its customers, and I think that it is important for us to let the company know what we think today.

=== wintel news =============

Good Job, Gates (Elizabeth Millard, osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/18980.html>
Perhaps Gates learned his lesson from the antitrust trial.

Microsoft Hires HP For PC Help (Ian Fried, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-949179.html>
Microsoft will be turning to HP to help solve its computer problems, under a multi-year services pact due to be announced Monday.

=== linux news =============

Linux Is Gaining A Place At Sun, In Both Strategy And New server (John Markoff, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/12/technology/12SUN.html>
Trying to blunt a growing challenge to the low end of its business, Sun plans on Monday to introduce its first computers running the Linux operating system.

=== reader : world =============

A Tale Of Two Chinas (Bei Ling, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/12/opinion/12BEIL.html>
Taiwan should lead by example and encourage mainland China to become a nation where freedom of the press and democratic, fair elections are the norm.

=== reader : tech =============

Do We Need Geeks In Government? (Declan McCullagh, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-949331.html>
There's a lot for a politically aware geek to be alarmed about nowadays.

Toilet Paper Algorithms (Donald A. Norman)
<http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/ToiletPaperAlgorithms.html>
I didn't know you had to be a computer scientist to use toilet paper.

=== reader : life =============

Pullman Lays Down Moral Challenge For Writers (Angelique Chrisafis, The Guardian)
<http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,6109,773058,00.html>
Literature risks becoming petty and worthless, warns Whitbread book prize winner.

Collaborating With Nature (Paul Goldberger, Metropolis Magazine)
<http://www.metropolismag.com/html/content_0802/gol/index.html>
When architecture and the natural world combine, both are transformed.

Sugar Babies (Nora Ephron, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/archive/content/?020819fr_archive05>
The sight of all those doughnuts marching solemnly to their fate makes me proud to be an American.

Deforsted Dinners (Lillian Ross, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/archive/content/?020819fr_archive01>
None of this nonsense of everybody at the table eating the same thing.

And I'm Watching It All From My Window (Chinaka Hodge, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/792189.asp>
I've always been taught that there's life beyond West Oakland. But I shouldn't be unique.

A Kinder, Gentler Koran (David Van Biema, Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101020819-335965,00.html>
A university wanted to teach a post-9/11 lesson in understanding. Critics say it's a whitewash.

Past Prime Time (Jonathan Curiel, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/08/12/DD143167.DTL>
Once-dominant TV guide, now in its 50th year, scrambles in a shifting market.

Ziff Davis Wards Off Bankruuptcy (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-949383.html>
Privately held magazine company Ziff Davis Media said MOnday that most of its bondholders had approved its financial restructuring, enabling the embattled publisher to avoid filing for bankruptcy.

=== singapore top news =============

Why Main Street Singapore Felt Ripples From Wall Street (Vikram Khanna, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,54100,00.html?>
The 2001 stocks crash affected consumption, investment; and Singapore took a direct hit.

---